Re: Tracking numbers in a graphic

>>your company should understand the value to be found by investing
>>in a process.  I would suggest the following:
>>Maintain a database that links a parts list with a drawing.
>>Generate from each parts list, the appropriate text.

I agree with Chris 100%. He essentially described what we do here. Although we
have two databases. One is controlled by engineering, the other by our
department's catalogers. After all, an engineering drawing is not necessarily
the best way to represent a parts catalog. So we produce our own drawings and
views using the databases to ensure all parts are used in the parts lists.
The problems we have had seem very similar to what was originally described.
Lists didn't always match the drawings. This came down to a lack of revision
control and the revision levels of the lists and drawings not matching (although
if we were working directly from engineering data this problem would have been
even worse). It all has to do with when the lists are exported.
An avenue to explore instead of MIF for the lists is the new SQL database
functionality of FrameScript. This is something that is near the top of things I
would like to try in the near future.

Eric L. Dunn