Re: Replacing .tif files with .eps files

*** The original message appeared on the FrameUsers mailing list.

From: "Jo Watkiss" <JoWatkiss@watkiss.com>
> We are replacing all our .tif files in Frame documents with .eps files, in
> order to get best results when converting to PDF.
> Batch converting the files to .eps is not a problem.  We are maintaining the
> same file name and location.
> My best idea so far for replacing them all in Frame, is to save the frame
> file as a MIF, and then in a text editor replace all instances of .tif with
> .eps.
> Are there any pitfalls in doing this - or does anybody have any better ideas

Yes, there are pitfalls, even though I haven't tried this myself.
If you are to change the filename in MIF, make sure to update the statement
ImportObFileDI, and not only ImportObFile (ImportObFile is redundant).
However, what tells FM what filter to use when displaying the graphic
is the statement ImportHint. I'm pretty sure you have to change this
also, to make FM use the correct filter. The value to set is not evident.

But the biggest problem would probably be to incorporate the screen
preview image that's part of your EPS files, and that makes it possible
to view the EPS on-screen. If you simply change TIF to EPS, you'll get
no preview image stored in the MIF file, and your EPS files will appear
as gray boxes. They will print and PDF correctly, however.

Adding the preview image to the FM internal datastructures can only be
done easily by importing the EPS into the document. You don't want to
try doing this via MIF!

More information can be found in the MIF Reference manual.