Re: Tools question: Scenario for multiple outputs and validation of i nput

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001 10:14:21 -0800, Dan Emory <danemory@primenet.com>
wrote:

>You also mention the FM+SGML/Webworks Publisher combination,
>and point out some of its major drawbacks. Owing to the current
>XML export limitations of FM+SGML, however, WWP PRO is
>essential if you're going to produce XML and on-line help derivatives
>from structured documents.

Hardly.  Mif2Go does the job quite well, as many on these lists
already know.  We make W3C-valid XML 1.0 and XHTML 1.x, as well
as all flavors of HTML, MS HTML Help, and Sun's JavaHelp in
addition to our RTF outputs (WinHelp, Word, WP, etc.).  And
we do it from regular FrameMaker, not just from FM+SGML.

In either case, you wind up with "flattened" XML, where the
para-level elements (based on para format usage) contain the
char-level ones (based on char formats), but do not contain
each other.  Since the XML output is well-formed, it can be
converted into a hierarchical form using XSLT, the (free) XML
transformation language.  XSLT is not trivial, but there are
good support resources, especially XSL-List:

  (jeremy@omsys.com)  http://www.omsys.com/