RE: Using ClearCase for FM version control

Deborah-

Excellent points. I'd like to build on a few of them.

I've personally used ClearCase and Perforce. IMHO, Perforce is MUCH better.

My current "deal with the source control devil" is this:

 We don't control my source files, we control my *deliverables*

This is huge. Ideally, I check-in a "docs.tar" file (containing PDF versions
of the manuals, READMEs, online HTML files, etc.) once per release.
Realistically, I end up doing this a few times for each release.

The developers are happy because they can look into the tar file and find
the pieces they need for their builds. The deliverables are vaulted and
backed up.

I work with local files. However, at least daily I fire off a DOS batch file
that copies any of my source files that have changed over to our RAID5
fileserver. So my source is backed up. Periodically, I also zip up an entire
release's worth of source files and put those on the central fileserver as
well (I'm anal about protecting data).

Anyway, it's working great. I even use a batch file to create the "docs.tar"
file. I can create a new one in less than 5 minutes.

'Hope this helps.

Warmest Regards,
Michael L. Tatro
Documentation Manager/Webmaster