RE: Trouble with WWP and JavaHelp

Gayle Boyer wrote:

| 1. Index problems.
|
| Index entries that include secondary entries aren't coming
| through properly.
| For example, if the FM entry looks like this:
|
| primary entry
| 	secondary entry 12, 15
| 	another secondary entry 83
|
| In the index xml that WWP builds, I'd expect the entry to look like this:
|
| <indexitem target="primary target" text="primary entry">
|     <indexitem target="secondary target" text="secondary entry"/>
|     <indexitem target="another secondary target" text="another secondary
| entry"/>
| </indexitem>

I'm not sure why you're seeing this result. I have no trouble converting
second-level index entries with multiple targets. Here is a snippet I just
generated:

  <indexitem text="Heidelberg">
    <indexitem target="c022_html_1019677" text="documentation templates"/>
    <indexitem text="template guidelines">
      <indexitem target="c022_html_1019677" text="Overview "/>
      <indexitem target="c0211_html_1021756" text="Tagging FrameMaker
Documents "/>
    </indexitem>
  </indexitem>

Was your project built with the latest JavaHelp template (included in WWP
Professional 6.0.6)?

| Instead, the line containing the opening tag isn't coming through
| at all, so
| I'm getting this:
|
|     <indexitem target="secondary target" text="secondary entry"/>
|     <indexitem target="another secondary target" text="another secondary
| entry"/>
| </indexitem>
|
| ...which generates an xml error and hangs my help project. I can
| track down
| the missing lines and re-enter them manually, but that sort of defeats the
| purpose. I've triple-checked my mappings, and all styles in my
| ProjectIOM.fm
| file are mapped either to appropriate index styles, or else to "NoOutput."

Did you mean to say your "ProjectIX.fm" file? If not, how have you set
mappings in that one?

| 2. Display problems
|
| When I run the .hs file and click an entry in the TOC, the main panel
| displays 2 overlapping versions of the page. This happens even for pages
| that don't include an anchored frame. I'm using JH 1.1.1 and the Java 2
| run-time environment, build 1.3, which I thought was supposed to fix this
| problem.

This problem is fixed in JDK/JRE 1.3. Are you perhaps testing on a machine
that has (or used to have) an earlier version of the JDK installed? (I have
seen Windows machines get confused about which JDK/JRE to use.) If you type
java -fullversion at an OS prompt, what is the result?

HTH ...

David Knopf (mailto:david@knopf.com)
Knopf Online (http://www.knopf.com)
Tel: 415.550.8367

RoboHELP MVP & Certified RoboHELP Instructor
WebWorks Publisher Certified Trainer
Co-moderator, HATT & wwp-users