RE: set up conditional cross-reference?

David O'Brien asked ...

> The target of a cross reference appears on the same page as the source,
so a
> cross ref like "See topic A on page 1" is a bit odd when you're already
on
> page 1; it would be more sensible to write "... below" or "... above",
etc.
> However, if the doc is edited the source and target may no longer appear
on
> the same page, so page refs are sensible.  In the pdf just a link is fine
> but we need to allow for printed doc as well.

Quite a while ago I suggested that the tag for a cross-reference should be
associated with one required and five optional cross-reference formats,
allowing one to meet David's requirements, for example:

XREF TAG:  Heading

ALTERNATIVE                   FORMAT
Default:                      `<$paratext>' on page\ <$pagenum>
Same Page Above:              `<$paratext>' above
Same Page Below:              `<$paratext>' below
On Same Double Spread:        `<$paratext>' opposite
On Left After Spread:         `<$paratext>' overleaf
On Right Before Spread:       `<$paratext>' preceding

FrameMaker would automagically determine which form to use.  The Default
format would be required and would always be used if none of the others
were specified.  Watch for it in release 11.0!

Regards,
Hedley

--
Hedley Finger
Technical Communications/Technical communicator and FrameMaker mentor

                    "Stuart
                    Burnfield"           To:     framers@FrameUsers.com
                    <stuartb@tpg.        cc:
                    com.au>              Subject:     RE: set up conditional
                                         cross-reference?
                    02/11/2000
                    01:33 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "Stuart
                    Burnfield"

I worked on a book that had cross-refs in the form "See _Foobar_ next"
or "See step 3 in Foobar_ next" where the target was the first topic
after the reference.

This seemed to work fairly well, as it makes sense whether the next
topic is on the same page or happens to get bumped to the next page.

It's not so good in a single-source setup, because you want to avoid
positional references like 'next', 'above', 'below'.

---
Stuart Burnfield
Gentoo Communications
The target of a cross reference appears on the same page as the source, so
cross ref like "See topic A on page 1" is a bit odd when you're already on
page 1; it would be more sensible to write "... below" or "... above", etc.
However, if the doc is edited the source and target may no longer appear on
the same page, so page refs are sensible.  In the pdf just a link is fine
but we need to allow for printed doc as well.

Can I create a conditional x-ref?  eg
If targetPage == sourcePage
           if targetLine < sourceLine
                     then pageRef = "above"
           else
                     pageRef = "below"
else
           pageRef = pageNum

or something.

thanks
David

David O'Brien
mailto:david.obrien@mincom.com
Mincom Limited                 Phone: 617 3303 3502
Brisbane, Australia.           Fax: 617 3303 3257

How do I set a laser printer to stun?

information. If you have received this transmission in error, please delete
it and notify the sender. The contents of this E-mail are the opinion of
the
writer only and are not endorsed by Mincom Limited unless expressly stated
otherwise.

Send administrative questions to listadmin@FrameUsers.com.
Visit the FrameUsers website: http://www.FrameUsers.com