Re: how does one do a word count in Framemaker?

> You can add a generated List of Paragraphs to the book, and have it
> updated along with the Index and TOC each time the book is generated.
> This LOP will contain the text of every paragraph in the book, so
> running WordCount on it should be equivalent to running it on every
> file in the book.
>
> You can exclude non-text paragraphs (e.g. that contain symbols, code
> fragments, anchors, etc.) to stop them skewing the word count.

Yes, but you cannot control whether words in a cross-reference
string or a variable string are counted, or the words found in
index markers, for instance. I don't know what the original
questioner needed the word count for, but when it comes to
estimating translation costs, you often want to be able to
control exactly which words are counted and not. BTW, that was
the original application intended for my "mifwords" script...

If your needs are simple, the built-in word count or the idea
of the generated LOP file may very well be enough.