Re: Single template for TOC, indices and body chapters [long]

At 10:48 AM 10/27/00 +1000, Michael Cudmore wrote:
>The problem comes when you need more lists or indices than are
>available. I often add generated lists which will not be part of the
>final book but which aid editing and troubleshooting: for example, two
>or more lists of reference (unresolved cross-refs, list of fonts,
>imported graphics, etc). Now I can use different file name suffixes to
>keep two or three lists of reference in the one book, but FrameMaker
>will still use the default abbreviation of LOR in each file for the
>reference page tag, flow tag and paragraph format suffix. So in this
>type of case, I would be forced to keep several templates to
>accommodate the different list formats needed.

OK, let's take the List of References problem. There is a solution.
It may sound strange, but it works, at least in V5.5.6 and earlier
versions. Here's the procedure:

1. Open a chapter file, and generate a list of references in which you
include, in the Setup List of References dialog, all of the types of
references you ever want to generate, using the default filename
suffix of LOR.

2. In the resulting generated list, an LOR reference page will appear,
containing the default specifications for each type of reference.

3. With input focus in the chapter file, choose File > Import > Formats.
In the Import Formats dialog, choose the generated file in step 2 in
the Import from Document slot, turn off everything but Reference Pages
in the Import and Update section, and click Import. Your chapter file
now has added to it the LOR reference page from the generated file.
After doing this, you can throw away the generated file. It won't be
used again.

4. Go to the new LOR reference page  in the chapter file,
and make whatever changes you want to the default specifications for
each type of paragraph, and use the Paragraph Designer to adjust
the format of the paragraph tag for each type of reference.

5. Establish a filename suffix (e.g. FONT for a list of fonts) for
each type of reference list you want to produce, and define which
type (or types) of reference(s) will be included for generated files having
that suffix.

7. Now, you're ready to rock and roll. With the Setup List of References
dialog open, specify in the Filename Suffix slot one of the suffixes you
defined in step 5, and include the reference type(s)
you've associated with that suffix. When you generate the list and
open the resulting generated file, you'll find that, despite the fact
that the list of reference suffix is not LOR, the LOR reference
page in the generated file is the same as the one in your
chapter file, and it was used to format the listings.

The obvious secret, of course, was step 1, which created a default LOR
reference page with specifications for all types of references you intend
to use. The not-so-obvious secret is that this reference page in the
chapter file suffices for all the different types of generated lists of
references you want to produce, even though the filename suffixes
for these files are not the default suffix of LOR.

| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646