Re: Automatic TOC tab stop before page number?

At 06:02 PM 10/24/00 -0700, Tristan Bishop wrote:
>Hi Frame Warriors,
>
>I need to convince Frame 6.0 for Windows to automatically place a tab stop
>between a generated TOC entry ( <paratext>) and it's pagenumber
>(<pagenum>).  Basically, when I apply my TOC template to a newly generated
>TOC, I want the page numbers to move to the right of page. Currently, the
>writers must manually insert a tab stop between the text and page number
>of each entry.  I've tried adding the tab stop in the Paragraph Designer
>for 1HeadingTOC, 2HeadingTOC, etc.
>
>I've also edited the reference page to show
>
><$paratext>(tab stop symbol) <$pagenum>
>
>  - - for each of the 4 TOC paratags.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Your problem is that the tab stops are not in the
<$paratext> <$pagenum>
lines on the TOC reference pages in the files included in your book.
Consequently, the tab stops won't appear in the generated TOC, and thus
applying the TOC template after the TOC is generated cannot produce
those tab stops.

To solve this problem, all of the files in the book for which you
are generating the TOC must contain a TOC reference page
in which all <$paratext> <$pagenum> lines
of the TOC specifications have a tab stop inserted
between <$paratext> and <$pagenum>

Also, be sure that, in your TOC template:

1. The reference page containing the TOC specifications
has the name TOC.

2. The text frame in the TOC reference page has
a text flow named TOC.

3. The paragraph tags in each
<$paratext>(tab stop symbol) <$pagenum> lines of the
TOC text frame in the TOC reference page are in the paragraph
catalog, and those paragraph tags have been updated
in the paragraph catalog to reflect the desired formatting
(in particular, the correct position of the tab stop. That
tab stop should be right-aligned, with a dot leader).

Now, the solution is either A or B below:

A. IMPORT THE REFERENCE PAGES FROM YOUR
TOC INTO ALL THE FILES OF THE BOOK

This method will work if your TOC template has only two
reference pages, Reference and TOC, and the first page
(named Reference) is identical in all respects to the first
reference page in all the files of the book.

Simply .import the reference pages from the TOC template
into all of the files in your book. Import only the reference pages,
nothing else.

B. COPY AND PASTE THE TOC REFERENCE PAGE
TEXT FRAME INTO THE TOC REFERENCE PAGE
IN EACH FILE OF THE BOOK

If you can't use method A for the reason cited above,
proceed as follows:

1. In each file of the book, check to find out if the file contains
a reference page named TOC. If it does, delete it.

2. In each file of the book, create a new reference page named
TOC. The page will be empty (i.e., it does not contain a text
frame).

3. In your TOC template, go to the TOC reference page, put
your cursor in the text frame (text flow name is TOC),
select the text frame (CTRL-click), and copy it to the
clipboard.

4. In each file of the book, go to the empty TOC reference page
created in step 2, and paste in the text frame (copied in
step 3) into the TOC reference page.
Now, after using method A or B, when you generate the TOC,
the tab stops will appear, and, when you import formats
(all formats, no just the reference pages) from your TOC
template into the generated TOC, the final formatting will
be produced.

| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646