Re: Adobe rep on Adobe website forum

At 01:59 PM 10/20/00 -0700, Lee Richardson wrote:
>At 1:07 PM +0200 10/20/00, Thomas Michanek wrote:
>
> >I don't expect anyone from Adobe to comment on the page
> >http://w1.133.telia.com/~u13304072/framers/adobe/rfes.html
> >but it would be interesting if someone did.
>
>I read it, but there are a limited number of useful comments I can make.
>
>Our general formula for figuring what bugs to fix in a release include the
>number of users that have run into the problem, the availability and
>usefulness of a workaround, the severity of the problem, the amount of
>time it would take to fix, and the risk that something else would break.
>And the number of times Dov has yelled at me about it.
>
>Tech Support and Dev Support contribute most of the bug-fix candidates to
>the list, based on calls they've received since the last release. A group
>of us (dev, QA, marketing, support) then review the list and set
>priorities based on the above criteria. This resulted in a list of 123
>change requests in FM6, of which we fixed 81.
>
>Corporate customers have the same issues as everyone else. Their special
>problems are generally related to particularly large applications of FM+SGML.
>
>For what it's worth, I handed off the framemaker-feedback list to QA last
>month to condense down and summarize. We're going to try to bias our
>bug-fixing resources (versus new-feature resources) toward items from that
>list, particularly focusing on usability requests. This is not a
>commitment of any kind, but that's the current plan.
How do you expect to learn about bugs from users when Adobe has, for at
least the past 2 years, discontinued any way to report non-crash bugs by
email (unless, that is, you purchased the maintenance option,which rules
out most of us). Do you really think very many of the rest of us would dial
up your non-800 tech support line, wait on it for an hour at our expense,
and then pay adobe a support fee for reporting the existence of a bug?
Adobe has cut itself off almost completely from the ordinary user, who is
most likely to discover and report bugs if given an easy way to do it.

Furthermore, your response does not address the fundamental issue that
launched this thread and is the subject of Michanek's web page you cite
above, namely how to get Adobe to pay attention to enhancement requests
(RFEs) from users, and actually implement some of them.
| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646