Re: EPS graphics got them jaggies -Reply

Another possibility in my experience with W95/8 and HP 8100 LaserJets
using AdobePS 4.2.6 (yes, with the hacked PPD):

1. In ATM (if ATM Lite, Settings tab > Advanced) Settings, make sure the
checkbox for Smooth Font Edges on Screen is deselected. For some reason,
this promotes the jaggy EPS on printing, as if it's printing the jaggy
TIF preview.

2. Doublecheck PS Printer Driver version, PPD, and consider installation
history. Earlier AdobePS drivers sometimes require a very clean (manual)
installation lest conflicts ensue between ATM and the OS.

As a side note, we typically save our EPS as version 7.0 with an IBM
preview. EPS files which include font information should either (a) have
font information converted to outlines under Type > Outlines or (b) be
saved with "Include Document Fonts" option...this is a checkbox to
select in the Save As dialog. Other Illustrator versions(8.01 after fix
and 9.x) are probably valid, but I haven't tested them personally.

Best regards,
Jason

>>> "Thomas Michanek" <thomas.michanek@telia.com> 10/16/00 05:13am >>>
> A colleague has imported an EPS with bitmap preview by reference.  It
has
> the jaggies on screen but when he prints it remains jaggy -- that is,
the
> PostScript is not interpreted to produce a smooth outline.  When
viewed in
> Illustrator the graphic looks and prints fine.  He is printing to a
> PostScript printer (HP LaserJet 2100 with PS) from Windows 98 and
> FrameMaker 5.5.6.  Got any ideas?

Have you looked at the solutions on my EPS / FM page at:
http://w1.133.telia.com/~u13304072/framers/postscript/eps.html#whyprint

If you bring up the Print dialog in FM 5.5.6, and select print
to PS file, does the field show a file extension of .prn instead
of .ps? This could indicate that FM thinks the printer is non-
PostScript and thus only prints the preview image.

Also check the maker.ini setting UsePostScript.