FM6 to PDF, Bookmarks go nuts

Is the following related to that "Name tree not defined...",
and what Shlomo was saying the other day?

I don't get any kind of error message, but...

Windows NT. Frame 6. Acrobat 4.05.
Default printer is Acrobat Distiller.
Method is print to .PS file, then distill.

OK, so two days ago I created a PDF and printed
it out for review. The bookmarks included my Chapter
Headings, three levels of section headings, table names
and illustration names, all from their respective paragraphs.
I've done it a thousand times. It worked. Nice, useful
set of bookmarks.

Today, after editing a few pages in a couple of the chapters
of this small book, I printed to PS and distilled again.
This time, in Bookmarks, I get the chapter headings for frontmatter,
followed immediately by the illustrations. The chapter headings,
the appendix headings, and all the section headings do not appear.

A few of the illustration bookmarks have plus-signs beside 'em,
so I click, only to have SOME of my chapter and heading
bookmarks expand from the illustrations.  As you can imagine,
this works out to the heirarchy being upside-down (but not
perfectly so).

I delete the PDF and the .PS and re-do, only this time,
I move the table and illustration headings to the "Do not include"
side, in PDF Settings.

Doesn't matter. I get exactly the same bookmarks as before,
including the illustration headings that aren't even supposed
to be in the PDF now.

Just to be sure, I tried yet again, first shutting down FM,
before reprinting to PS, distilling, etc.  Nothing has changed.
What's going on, and how do I fix it? It would take a week or
three to get a purchase order for any add-ons. What is overriding
my PDF Setup selections, and then what is screwing up the order
and nesting of my bookmarks>

If it matters, my FM-generated Table of Contents looks just fine.

/kevin (this is Friday, isn't it)