Re: Odd colored index markers

*** The original message appeared on the FrameUsers mailing list.

From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharonburton@earthlink.net>
> I have a weird one - a friend sent me a file in which some but not all index
> markers are colored red. I have tried setting the default text to the
> paragraph and to the word that the marker is embedded - no change. I tried
> opening the color palette and making the change there - no go.

Have you checked conditional text settings? Could the markers be conditional?
Make them unconditional or turn conditional indicators off.

> I did check the non-red markers and they are also Index markers. The really
> weird thing is that even though the change bars are turned off for the
> document and the paragraphs, when this file is generated/updated, the change
> bars turn on right at the red index markers. You can manually clear them by
> clearing all change bars for the file but they come right back when you
> gen/update again.

This sounds like the file has been converted from MS Word with Revision
Tracking turned on. Sometimes this can confuse FM and lead to "garbage",
such as strange change bars and/or text becoming conditional.
First try to make all text unconditional and then clear all change bars.
If that doesn't work, save as MIF, open the MIF and resave as binary.
If that doesn't help, the final "solution" would be to set change bars
to white color and/or zero thickness.