Applescript question: rename files/find Nth character in string

Hi crew --

My husband has a couple of hundred files that got named
"File000xyz.000xyz.fm", where the xyz increments for
each version of the file. He'd like to change all the
names to "File.000xyz.fm". Applescript came to mind as
the solution, but neither of us knows Applescript.
Anyone know how to do that? Or what command to use to
find the Nth character in a filename or other string?

(Please reply directly or to the FreeFramers list; I'm
off BradFramers at least until I get Frame 6....)

Thanks lots,
Ananda

ananda.stevens@windriver.com