Unavailable character encoding?

Hello everybody,

I just received a document from one of our contracters that gave me the following message when I tried to open it:

Document named Mentoring03.fm uses unavailable character encodings. If you open this document, some characters may appear as nonsense text.
To reformat the document using available fonts, click OK.

Has anyone seen this before?  I have dealt with missing fonts in the past, but I've never heard about unavailable character encodings.

The writer is working on Windows 2000, FM 5.5.6 and I am working on NT 4.0.

Thanks bunches,

Ron Nelson