From:  Majordomo@omsys.com[SMTP:Majordomo@omsys.com]
Sent:  Friday, June 09, 2000 12:26 PM
To:  Jeannie Lin
Subject:  Welcome to framers

    unsubscribe framers

or from another account, besides jlin@carf.org:

list itself) send email to <owner-framers@omsys.com> .
to contact a human.

 Here's the general information for the list you've subscribed to,
 in case you don't already have it:

Welcome to the Free Framers list, <framers@omsys.com>.

You have joined the *non-commercial*, *user-run* list for
FrameMaker(tm) users throughout the world.  The framers
list has been running for many years, providing technical
support from peer to peer that is found nowhere else.  It
is also a community, full of interesting and odd characters
you will come to know as you listen to our conversations.

We have few rules here, depending instead on civility to
get us through difficult times.  This is a public list,
with a Web archive, so when you post you should say only
things you wouldn't be sorry to have quoted on the news.

The Free Framers list itself, the current incarnation,
was started September 23, 1998, by members of the previous
framers list who were not pleased with the way the list
administrator was handling both technical and personal
issues.  We felt that the community was best served by
offering an alternative list, where no one person would
be in charge, and where the control of the list was not
misused to further commercial purposes.

We are still developing the process by which we will ensure
that these ends are achieved.  It is an open process, that
we will discuss on the list as we proceed.  Initially, the
"listowner" is Jeremy Griffith <jeremy@omsys.com>, as he
had the list management software (majordomo) at hand on
his site.  However, he is *not* the sole decisionmaker here,
and views his role as entirely technical.  Policy will be
made by the co-ordinators as a group, and they in turn will
be chosen from the listmembers by a democratic process.

Thank you for joining us.  Please fasten your seatbelt,
and prepare for an interesting flight...