DTP Question: 50% Gray

Framers,

The following is an aesthetic design question. (Frame 5.5 Win95)

I have used a 50% gray as part of a template aesthetic (intended for
print). Certain text elements are contrasted in gray against the standard
black; elements such as figure titles, table headings, appear in gray,
while the body text is black. Works fine.

However, I've also applied the 50% gray to the chapter numbers, which
appear in a 45pt Officina at the beginning of each chapter (it establishes
the visual expectation for the gray). Naturally, because of the size of
the chapter number gyph, the number "appears" to be considerably darker
than the smaller characters, such as the figure titles. They are, however,
both 50% gray.

In your wizened experience, would it be fruitful for me to adjust the
gray tint of the chapter num to visually match the other elements?
(That is, reduce the darkness to appear more similar to the other
elements on the page.) Or am I likely to suffer later on, in print, for
such inconsistencies? (That is, it'll never look quite right; or I'm
gonna waste days in the print shop tweaking this gray. And so on.)

Any feedback is welcome.

Colin