NT Blue Screen with FrameMaker

I am running FrameMaker 5.5.6 on NT4 SP5. I have started getting the blue
screen of death when I launch FrameMaker. I have uninstalled and reinstalled
FrameMaker, and re-run the service pack, but with only temporary relief. The
strange thing is that after reinstalling FrameMaker, it will run okay to get
throught the new install document, but then will crash when I try to open
one of my documents.

All other applications are working, so I don't think this is an OS problem.
I did have FrameMaker 6 installed for a time (I had to defer using it
because of the hyperlink on master pages bug). Is it possible that FM6 made
some incompatible, persistent Registry mods that the reinstall of 5.5.6
won't overwrite? Is anyone out there using both (not concurrently) on the
same workstation?

Help!

Thanks for you input.
Charles Richardson