RE: FrameMaker + SGML

Hmm.  I don't suppose there's a way to go backwards
from FM+SGML, to create a doc (or at least a good
template in FM, then tag it with the SGML element
tags, and back it out into an EDD?

What I'd like is to take an existing doc, which
looks and flows pretty much the way I want my docs
to do, and turn that into an EDD and DTD that would
thereafter be usable for future versions and docs.
If the process forces me to clean up some aspects
I'd neglected, well that's fine.

I'd also like to export as tagged SGML text, make
future revisions with an SGML-aware (and enforcing)
text editor) and only bring my texts into FM+SGML
in the final days of a doc cycle, for formatting.

The notion of keeping the master and working docs
in tagged-text format is attractive for several
reasons, including:

1) Nobody wants to pay for other people around here
   (like SMEs)to have FM, but they'd be ok with text
   editors;

2) FM does not play nice with version-control systems,
   due to all files being binaries and therefore not
   elligible for saving as incremental deltas;

3) I think more translation services can handle text --
   I can always fix broken tag sets and nesting, if
   I must;

4) Other?

It would be really nifty if I could slide into SGML
from my current position, rather than starting from
the ground up... since there's only one of me, anyway
at the moment.

OK, OK... warn me off it.  But make it persuasive, huh?

:-)

/k