elements & text formatting

Is there a way to have a text range element wrap text and have that text
retain any character formatting that
 it has?

 I want to wrap blue colored text with an Emphasis element and have that
text not turn black. Black is the
 color of the default paragraph text, but why can't the element which has no
color associated leave the blue
 character formatting alone. I did see in the developer's guide where an
inserted element formats according to
 the element's formatting rules, then eventually to the default paragraph
format. I also tried to set the default
 paragraph color to "As Is", but this does not stick by way of the paragraph
designer.

 appreciate your replies,
 Bruce Walters