Re: mif2go evaluation

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000 17:35:35 -0800, Dick Gaskill <dgaskill@Legato.COM> wrote:

>The next DAY??  That's pretty amazing.
> Jeremy, is that kind of service a regular thing?

Yes, as a matter of fact, it is.  Tech support is our top priority.
Most problems that aren't RTFMs are simple oversights, where the
fix is obvious and free of side effects.  In those cases, we can
make the change immediately, and so we do.  Periodically we ship
a new "snapshot" of our software to all current subscribers, so
that everyone gets the benefit of the fixes we made.

We can't do that *every* time, though.  Some problems are less
tractable than others, or are part of a larger issue that we're
planning on addressing as a project.  We try at least to come
up with a decent workaround in such "worst cases".  Fortunately
such cases are pretty infrequent.  And sometimes, when a bunch
of requests all arrive at once, even simple fixes take more than
a day... we do triage, and nail the showstoppers first.

We also welcome requests for new features, treating them much the
same as support requests.  If the enhancement is easily made, and
most are, it's made on the spot.  Actually, most of our product
improvements have originated with such a request; our customers
tell us what they need, and we build it.

This "customer-driven" approach makes more sense to us than the
usual engineering-driven approach, common as that is.  Not that
we have anything against engineers, we *are* engineers, but we
recognize that our users are more likely to know what is needed
for their work than we are... so it's best for us to listen well.

  (jeremy@omsys.com)  http://www.omsys.com/