RE: PDF vs HTML

Careful Cas. Those sorts of opinions don't seem very welcome here.

I chose not to respond to Dan's post because what *can* one really say to
someone who posits a "<fill_in_the_blank> uber alles" argument (i.e., paper
manuals are ALWAYS superior to online help).

I continue to be a part of the list because hardcopy manuals produced with
FM are a fact of life for me. I'd be hard-pressed to think of a more
knowledgeable group of folks on that particular topic. Dan is obviously one
of the most knowledgeable guys I've ever encountered and I respect his
opinions for what they are - his opinions. God knows, I have plenty of my
own.

What I do think some folks miss about HTML is that the behavior Dan most
criticizes is actually a feature. The fact that each person can potentially
define a different default screen font is a feature, not a limitation. The
underlying philosophy is that I (the user) know better what my default
screen font should be than some author in an ivory tower. What about those
nearly blind (who may need a large font) or running very small displays (who
may need a small font)? Should they be tied to someone else's idea of the
"best" screen font?

HTML also scales in many other ways (e.g., tables automatically size to the
display, text auto flows around graphics), all of which are intended to
display differently on different systems. However, to leverage this
behavior, one *must* consider those things when authoring.

Of course embracing this new paradigm means yielding absolute control over
the page layout in order to *better* serve one's readers. Many "old school"
writer/publishers are loathe to do this. Hence, the bad feelings about HTML
in general and the specific criticism that it never looks the way they
intended it to.

I do agree with Dan wholeheartedly that "shovelware" is the last refuge of a
hack.

Warmest Regards,
Michael L. Tatro
Documentation Manager