Re: HowTo? Running H/F 1 over multiple docs for one chapter in a book

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:56:58 +0100, Harald Kucharek <Harald.Kucharek@ixpoint.de> wrote:

>Now I have to split chapters, they got too large. But only physically,
>not logically.

You are asking for grief, right here.  One of Frame's great strengths
is its ability to work with files thousands of pages long.  So it is
designed to treat each chapter file as a separate logical unit, since
there is never a need to split for physical size reasons (as in Word).

The main thing that can make Frame docs slow to load and page is their
graphics content.  You can minimize the impact of graphics by making
sure you always import graphics by reference rather than by copying;
your files will be much smaller.  You can also go into File | Preferences
and turn off the "Save FrameImage" item, unless you are working cross-
platform a lot, where it may be needed.

It's not impossible to work with split chapters, just difficult, often
in unexpected ways you discover as you are trying to print at deadline.
I'm sure others on the list who have used this method will step up with
a list of workarounds.  Hopefully it will be *complete*... but I wouldn't
count on that.  You might want to reconsider the need to split instead.

HTH!

   (jeremy@omsys.com)     http://www.omsys.com/
** To subscribe to Free Framers, email the message **
** body "subscribe framers" to majordomo@omsys.com **