Re: [FrameSGML] Re: Importing XML into FM+SGML

Dan Emory wrote:

> XML instances are in Unicode. How does anything stated below resolve the
> problem that FM+SGML cannot, on import, properly translate the high ASCII
> characters (as well as < > & =, and characters using the Symbol or Dingbarts
> fonts) unless they are represented by entity references in the document
> instance being imported?

For the high ASCII, Symbol and Dingbat characters I still use entity references in
XML - I guess I've been doing SGML for too long to change too quickly. I don't
know what others are doing, but I don't imagine that I'm alone with this approach.
As far as "<", ">" and "&" are concerned, they must exist only as entity
references in an XML document, and all conformant XML processors must recognise
them as legitimate whether entity declarations exist for them or not. The next
character in your list came through as an equal sign - there is no issue with that
character, unless my mail system has interpreted something incorrectly. (Another
good reason for using entities, if that is the case.:-)

I realise that my approach is less than ideal, but I don't believe the statement
"FrameMaker+SGML cannot import XML" is accurate either. Under some (not
particularly contrived) conditions, FrameMaker+SGML will satisfy the requirements
of a lot of datasets without a lot of additional work. That said, I would love to
not be engaging in this thread. I believe that more recognisable XML import
support is crucial to the success of FrameMaker+XML (may as well get in practice
early...) and I would really like to see it in version 6.0. Given FrameMaker's
position at the fore of the formatting applications, full XML support would allow
it to really stride onto center stage.

--
Regards,

Marcus Carr                      email:  mrc@allette.com.au