Re: Whither FrameMaker? or, should they switch?

>It's my uninformed opinion that Adobe will take all of FrameMaker's
>functionality and build a version of InDesign that contains all of this
>functionality. This will allow them to use InDesign's new, modular,
>plug-in-able code and put in FrameMaker features that we all know and love.
>
>And if they keep all the goodies that we need in FrameMaker, I think it
>could be a good thing. I've done some stuff in InDesign, and the type it
>creates is spectacular.

The major downside that I see to this scenario is... guess what?
UNIX support!

Does anyone believe that InDesign will be ported to UNIX or even Linux?
This would mean that you can kiss goodbye to functionality like
built-in macros and screen capture, batch processing, and perhaps
even clean, compact PostScript generation. (The difference in the
latter between FM on Windows and UNIX is quite remarkable, IMHO)
I don't think the MIF format would survive that transition either.

Ah... isn't it nice to vent one's pet peeves every now and then? :-)

Thomas Michanek, [Michagon], Linkoping, Sweden
Documentation Consultant, FrameMaker/UNIX expert
EMAIL:  mailto:Thomas.Michanek@telia.com
WWW:    http://go.to/framers , or go directly to:
        http://w1.133.telia.com/~u13304072/framers