SUMMARY: Converting WordArt to .GIF

G'day again

Yesterday, I asked for suggestions re extracting .GIF files from WordArt
in Word docs.

Ta to Rachel Bowen, Dmitri Yunov, Anne Harper and Steve "Legend"
Schwedland for some excellent suggestions:

Method 1. Convert the original Word docs to html, which automatically
converts the WordArt to .GIF. Quick, simple, gives good results for most
pix (but I had a few pix which made Word spit the dummy -- it refused to
convert them -- which reinforces everything I have ever said about Word
:-)

Method 2. Run the Word > Frame converted docs through WebWorks
Publisher, which automatically converts the WordArt to .GIF (or several
other formats). This is a longer path than Method 1. (but luckily I
already had done this, so could just find the appropriate .GIFs and
import them into Frame). The quality of the .GIFs made by this method is
inferior to Word > html conversions (bug-ger!), but this is probably
because they had already been converted once before by Frame. All of the
pix converted, however, so I will probably use this method for graphics
not converted by Method 1.

Method 3. Make a Word > PDF of the original docs, open in Photoshop and
zoom to 1600%, copy the selected area using Photoshop's Graphics Select
tool. Open a new Photoshop doc and the material on the clipboard will
paste into the new  doc automagically. Can downsample and export as .GIF
and/or save as a high res original. Pretty slick, if time-consuming, and
certainly worth doing for high-quality originals. Unfortunately, the
version of Photoshop available here under Solaris (v3.1) refuses to get
out of bed for me, so this will have to wait.

Ta all

jjj

--
John Pitt, Technical Writer